Subject: It All Started with Ennio Morricone Radio
So this morning I got the above email from Pandora. Looks like the first Pandora Station I requested was for Ennio Morricone. I’m not surprised, I have loved Ennio even before I knew his name. In fact, I’ll bet that you, too, have known and loved Ennio for most of your life even though you might not know it…
Think Clint Eastwood. Think the iconic whistle theme from “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.” The soundtrack for Sergio Leone’s all-time classic Spaghetti Westerns, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” includes Ennio’s unforgettable whistle and wail theme:
So, did you sing or whistle the tune? In your head or out loud? (You gotta admit that it’s hard not to, at the very least, hum it under your breath.)
The website CD Universe states the tune is “so familiar as to be a cultural touchstone. Even an abbreviated sound byte of the theme is enough to conjure images of desolate desert plains, rolling tumbleweeds, and a cowboy-booted figure standing ominously in the distance.”
Another click on the internet and I pulled up someone’s online comment that Ennio’s theme runs through his head every time he and his roommate get to the last slice of pizza and face a standoff. 🙂
I dare you not to whistle this theme sometime during the day!
“Spaghetti Western” Spaghetti
In homage to Ennio Morricone and summer flavors, here’s one of my favorite go-to meals:
- Thin Spaghetti
- Tomatoes (one Roma or a handful of cherry tomatoes)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Black Pepper and Sea Salt
- Cook pasta according to package. Drain.
- Transfer cooked pasta to bowl.
- Add Roma tomatoes (diced or cubed) or Cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Add Basil leaves (can be shredded, sliced or whole).
- Squeeze half a lemon — drizzle over pasta. (Variation: squeeze half a lemon, then combine the juice with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, whisk and then drizzle over pasta).
- Top all of it off with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, black pepper and coarse salt.
Easy peasy! Add grilled chicken for extra protein and a heartier meal.